Wordy helps writers and publishers produce great print-ready content on subjects ranging from lifestyle to academics and business handbooks.
Our book and manuscript proofreading services include:
- Finalising content for print in corporation with the writer
- Ensuring consistency in words, grammar and structure
- The ability to handle a diverse array of subject matters from a fixed house style
- Well-rounded native speaking editors in multiple time zones.
Wordy has editors based in the UK, US and Australia to provide a true real-time service, 24 hours a day. Create your free account now for an instant free price quote and approximate delivery time.
Wordy book and manuscript proofreading factsheet
Featured book and manuscript proofreading clients
Book and Manuscript Proofreading and Copy-Editing
Our skilled and experienced editors will ensure that when they receive a manuscript, copy-editing and proofreading are their top priorities. They will ensure that your manuscript is ready for the typesetter in any format by:
- Checking grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Ensuring the tone is appropriate to the readership
- Marking up headings and other non-body text
- Looking at overall content, structure and progression
- Making the text consistent with house style
- Checking for any libel or permissions issues
- Making sure that all preliminary pages and other non-body
text material (e.g., footnotes) are available
- Referring any outstanding queries to the author or client as
Before book proofreading
When you send your work to Wordy for manuscript proofreading, there are several things the editor needs to know before they start editing and proofreading the text:
- What genre of writing they are handling (fiction/non-fiction, drama, and so on.)
- The purpose of the writing and what it is trying to achieve—is it to make people laugh? To create a special
atmosphere? To influence them through argument?
- What the client wants—substantial improvement/suggestions or just a final polish?
Online Manuscript Proofreading
By using online book proofreading and online manuscript copy-editing,
you can ensure that you are as involved in the book’s
proofreading as possible. While working online, book copy-editing
notes can be easily exchanged between you and the editor. To retain
your style and intentions throughout the book or manuscript, our
editors will take several steps. They will:
- Read the whole text carefully before starting to get a sense
of the author's personal style
- Note inconsistencies and discrepancies as well as obvious
errors. For instance, when a character in a novel is shown doing
something very `out of character' for no reason, a good copy editor
could mention this
- Point out style problems such as repetition or use of
- Make no unnecessary changes, especially, not to wording or a
phrase, etc., because they don't `like' it
- Especially in fiction and play scripts, be aware that
`mistakes' may be deliberate, e.g., dialect/slang features or
- Work closely with the author and raise queries as they arise.